Thursday, August 21, 2008

Yangzhou inspired fried rice

Last night I found a video on Epicurious.com on how to make Yangzhou Fried Rice. It looked so good that I couldn't wait to make it after a trip to the store. So I made it with what I currently had. It was delicious! I highly recommend this method of making fried rice. Check out the original. Here's my version:

This makes enough for a large lunch for one or a lunch for two requiring a side (in our case, grapes).

Canola oil
1 green onion, sliced diagonally every 1/2"
1 cup cooked, cold brown rice
1 egg
a handful or so of deli sliced ham cut into bite sized pieces
salt and pepper to taste

1. Heat a couple of tablespoons of canola oil in a wok or large skillet. Add green onions and stir fry for 15-30 seconds. Crumble rice over this.
2. Add egg and mix together, coating rice evenly. Add ham, salt, and pepper, and stir fry until egg is cooked.

Enjoy!

No comments: