Wednesday, March 24, 2010

CSA Basket #1

I just joined a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) for the first time. Full of excitement, I brought home my first basket today. Can I say wow? I'm a bit overwhelmed with produce now! Here's a list of what items were in it:

Rosemary
Kale (kale)
Butter lettuce
Broccoli (tiny)
Red romaine (huge)
Red lettuce
Parsley - flat leaf and curly
Swiss Chard (huge)
Carrots
Celery
Beets
Green onions
6 small russet potatoes
2 large sweet potatoes
2 meyer lemons
5 apples
1 grapefruit
2 huge avocados
11 oranges/tangerines
2 kiwis

I would like to do some cost comparison to the same quantities and quality of these items from the grocery store. I say quality because cost is not my reason for doing this. It's more about getting food that's fresh and supports local farmers. However, even good things shouldn't be done if you can't afford them (cough health care cough). I have a feeling that so far, though, it's going to come out about the same. In which case, CSA you are amazing!


No comments: